Bergenfield Police Department Mission and Core Values
Our fundamental mission as a municipal police agency is to serve the public. We strive to partner with the community to solve problems and improve public safety in a manner that is fair, impartial, transparent, and consistent. Stating our mission is simple, but performing it is a complex task that requires us to recognize and define the functions that we perform in our society.
We will perform our law enforcement role by protecting life and property, by suppressing criminal activity and disorder with vigilant patrol, and by arresting law breakers through effective response to, and investigation of, reported crimes. We will be proactive in our patrols. We will seek to resolve conflict, and work with all citizens to provide a safe and secure community for everyone. We will protect the innocent, give aid and comfort to the sick and injured, and assist the disadvantaged. Finally, we will recognize that we are the most visible and accessible of all government services, and this gives us a unique responsibility to assist citizens with their problems and to work to maintain the quality of life in our community. We are a dedicated and diverse group of professionals who are committed to working with the community to make Bergenfield a safe and desirable place to live, work or visit.
We will be guided by these goals and values while performing our mission.
- Integrity – We are committed to the enforcement of laws and the preservation of order and property. We are dedicated to maintaining the highest moral standards by embracing the principles of honesty, trust and courage. We believe integrity is the basis for community trust. We exercise discretion in a manner that is beyond reproach.
- Respect – We have respect for the sanctity of life, the dignity and rights of all, and use only the force necessary to accomplish our lawful duty.
- Fairness and Impartiality – We act with fairness, restraint, and impartiality in performing our duties. We work with the community to continually understand and overcome cultural influences and unconscious biases. We understand that our actions, combined with the way we treat members of the community contributes to our legitimacy in the eyes of the public.
- Professionalism – We treat the public and our colleagues with courtesy and respect. We understand our appearance, words, and demeanor contribute to the public’s confidence in us. We are responsive to the community and deliver prompt and efficient service.
- Teamwork – We work together as one organization in carrying out the mission of the department. We recognize the value of all members of our organization. We demonstrate fairness, compassion, and consistency on our interactions with others. We form partnerships with other agencies and with our community to provide the best services possible.
- Pride – We take pride in our department, its members, its mission, our badges, our uniforms, and our community. We are dedicated to professionalism, service, and moral courage.
- Compassion – We are mindful of the distress of others and demonstrate a sympathetic understanding in our desire to assist.
- Commitment - We show dedication to our department and our community. We strive to create and foster partnerships with our community.
- Excellence – We provide the best customer service to our community, colleagues, and partners by listening and responding in a timely, friendly, professional, and solution-oriented manner. We demonstrate continual excellence through professionalism, going beyond the parameters of our job by being creative, innovative, flexible, and adaptable to multiple needs.
Our belief in these goals and values lies at the core of our organization. The principles contained in them will guide us in everything we do.